What is the Human Values Foundation?
The Human Values Foundation (HVF) supplies materials helping to embed a positive values culture in schools. It was formed in 1994 to encourage, promote and develop human values among young people through its educational programmes, publications, exhibitions, conferences and staff exploration sessions. The HVF is a non-denominational and independent body, which does not represent or work on behalf of any particular religion or spiritual interest. It is a registered charity and a private company, limited by guarantee. The HVF enjoys close links with national education bodies in the UK.
Our vision is that young people among all sections of the community, both in the UK and also overseas, will imbibe and practise human values so as to become responsible, happy, fulfilled members of society and aspire to human excellence.
Our mission is to develop, promote and encourage an uplifting education process for children, teachers and all who look after children; to provide universal resources that foster lasting values, which contribute to an integrated, ethical, moral, emotional, social and spiritual education.
• We produce and promote throughout the world, two related, user-friendly programmes called, “Education in Human Values” (EHV) for 4 to 12 year olds and “Social and Emotional Education” (SEE) for 12 to 14+ year olds. Both programmes are universal, non-denominational and are derived from the insights of great philosophers and thinkers. They are based on the fundamental belief that all people are intrinsically worthy and want to live happily in a safe, secure environment.
• Through courses, conferences, exhibitions and publications we support schools, parents/carers and educationists who want to implement values-enhanced education programmes.
• We inspire young people to develop self-esteem, become motivated, creative and organised; to find a purpose in life; live in harmony with others; show compassion and respect; develop discernment; be open to new and different ideas and co-operate with others. We help young people realise that human values are our ZEST for life and that we are what we value and that we express our priorities through our values. In offering resources to develop these skills, we help to bring about an emotional and social well-being, benefiting not only those actively practising the values but the wider community too.
• We assist teachers who are striving to develop and enhance the quality of the education process and enrich the experiences of the children they teach. This in turn contributes to the general community because of the admirable qualities in our young citizens.
• We help everyone recognise that human values lie at the heart of a school’s vision of itself as a small community; to assist schools as they develop the ETHOS that human values help to uphold the highest ideals to which human beings can aspire, or as one pupil said, “They help me to be the best person I can possibly be”.